St Andrew Northampton was built in 1841 from public subscription. Its parish was a densely populated area that was originally part of the historic parish of Holy Sepulchre in the town. Known locally as “the Boroughs” it was until this building was erected well served by nonconformist meeting houses. Built of local sandstone it survived […]
In the 19th century, despite there being numerous well-established churches of many denominations around the periphery of Northampton’s “Boroughs”, the area was well served by additional premises for Sunday schools, social outreach and worship services. Judging by the many press reports over the years all of these ventures were well supported by the local community […]
North End is referred to in newspaper reports and appears on some maps of Northampton between 1746 and the early part of the 19th century. But where exactly was it and what was its full extent?
Previously I have written about several of Northampton’s “lost” churches. This is an attempt to produce a gazetteer and interactive map of all known “lost” churches and similar institutions in the town. Please click on the map to access the interactive map … The buildings that have disappeared can be categorised in at least two […]
Maybe the name is familiar, perhaps it’s not, it should be! He designed the Midland Hotel at St Pancras Station.
Of course All Saints, Northampton is not ‘lost’, it is there in plain sight and for 300 years has been an iconic feature of the town. This building, however, is not the first church on this site. The original All Saints (or All Hallows, as it was sometimes known) was tragically damaged by a fire […]
Most railway enthusiasts in Northampton will be well aware that the first railway station in Northampton was on the Blisworth to Peterborough extension of the London and Birmingham railway. The town’s first passenger station was located in Bridge Street and opened in 1845. However, this was not the first railway in the town. At the […]
Philip Doddridge is in danger of being forgotten by the current residents of Northampton, but in the 18th century he was at the forefront of innovations in health care that shaped what we do today. Doddridge was a prominent Congregationalist minister in the town from 1729-1751. The church which he pastored may have reverted its […]
The area around St Peter’s church was surveyed in 1743 along with the remains of the castle site. A helpful article appeared in the Journal of the Northants Natural History Society and Field Club in 1908 written by Rev R M Sargeantson, drawing on a previous article in 1904 by Mr A Adcock both eminent […]
An earlier post about the Civil War, 1643: Skirmishes in Kingsthorpe Hollow drew attention to a stream in Kingsthorpe Hollow that is now largely forgotten – Wallbeck. This stream is one of many water assets in the town that in former times would have played a significant role in the life of the inhabitants than […]