Northampton is justly proud of its Guildhall. The original part of the building which is now the central section of the street facade was the design of Edward William Godwin
Just beyond the last house in Leicester Terrace there was a gate opening into a field, where the corncrake might be heard on a summer’s evening.
St Andrew Northampton was built in 1841 from public subscription. Its parish was a densely populated area that was originally part of the historic parish of Holy Sepulchre in the town. Known locally as “the Boroughs” it was until this building was erected well served by nonconformist meeting houses. Built of local sandstone it survived […]
In the 19th century, despite there being numerous well-established churches of many denominations around the periphery of Northampton’s “Boroughs”, the area was well served by additional premises for Sunday schools, social outreach and worship services. Judging by the many press reports over the years all of these ventures were well supported by the local community […]
North End is referred to in newspaper reports and appears on some maps of Northampton between 1746 and the early part of the 19th century. But where exactly was it and what was its full extent?
Previously I have written about several of Northampton’s “lost” churches. This is an attempt to produce a gazetteer and interactive map of all known “lost” churches and similar institutions in the town. Please click on the map to access the interactive map … The buildings that have disappeared can be categorised in at least two […]
Maybe the name is familiar, perhaps it’s not, it should be! He designed the Midland Hotel at St Pancras Station.
One church or two? There is an outstanding mystery about the location of this lost church and whether it was two separate churches or just one. Let’s examine the evidence. Although scanty, there is enough historical evidence to identify one of the sites. Traces of a medieval church There are two descriptions of the remains […]
The carriage constructed for her Majesty’s use, by the directors of the London and Birmingham Railway Company
12 November 1844 was set to be a great day for Northampton. A chance to welcome Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. to the town. However, two tragedies would occur. It was a visit of convenience for the royal couple, who were passing through the town en route to Burghley House the residence of Marquess of […]