Category: Lost …

North End 1746 from Noble and Butlin's map of Northampton

Lost streets: Where was North End, Northampton?

North End is referred to in newspaper reports and appears on some maps of Northampton between 1746 and the early part of the 19th century. But where exactly was it and what was its full extent?

Share
Read more
Northampton in 1899 showing the location of the original terminus of the railway in Northampton

Northampton’s forgotten railway

Most railway enthusiasts in Northampton will be well aware that the first railway station in Northampton was on the Blisworth to Peterborough extension of the London and Birmingham railway. The town’s first passenger station was located in Bridge Street and opened in 1845. However, this was not the first railway in the town. At the […]

Share
Read more

Lost Villages in Northamptonshire

The Deserted Medieval Villages Another are another “lost” landscape feature of Northamptonshire. These were extensively researched between 1958 and 1965 and comprehensive details appeared in 1966 as “The Deserted Villages of Northamptonshire” by K. J. Allison, M.W. Beresford and J.G. Hurst. Maurice Beresford subsequently edited a comprehensive gazetteer of lost villages in the UK in […]

Share
Read more

Northampton’s lost squares

Squares through time Over the years Northampton has lost a number of its squares, some completely and remembered only in street name, others have shrunk to a size significantly less than their former extent and others have succumbed to traffic thoroughfares. The public square has been important through history, and we can trace its origins […]

Share
Read more
Moulton Park, Edward F Leach, 1908

King’s Park of Northampton

Of the hundreds of people who work in the Moulton Park area of Northampton, few are probably aware that the ground on which they walk was formerly known as King’s Park and was indeed one of the King’s hunting parks.

Share
Read more
Duston and St James tramways

Duston and St James tramways

Old maps reveal a lot about our town. The landscape of St James and Duston has changed unrecognisably in the last 100 years. Looking at an OS map surveyed in 1883 shows an extensive standard gauge railway over a larger part of this area linking various industrial facilities together. My journey started from Stenson Street, […]

Share
Read more