Miscellanea Edintone : Blog

The Hesilrige Survey of 1743

The area around St Peter's church was surveyed in 1743 along with the remains of the castle site. A helpful ...
Read More

Lost Villages in Northamptonshire

The Deserted Medieval Villages Another are another “lost” landscape feature of Northamptonshire. These were extensively researched between 1958 and 1965 ...
Read More
Stream, Springs, Wells and MIlls of Northampton

Streams, Springs, Wells and Mills of Northampton

An earlier post about the Civil War, 1643: Skirmishes in Kingsthorpe Hollow drew attention to a stream in Kingsthorpe Hollow ...
Read More

Roadblocks and Checkpoints

During World War 2 you could not travel far in and around the town of Northampton and not be aware ...
Read More

Northampton Racecourse

The “Northamptonshire Nonconformist” was the successor publication to the similarly titled “Northampton Nonconformist”. The two publications together ran from 1889 ...
Read More

Deed Mapping

Deeds are often an overlooked resource by family historians. Written in what might seem impenetrable legal language to the researcher ...
Read More
1643 skirmishes

1643: Skirmishes in Kingsthorpe Hollow

An "incident" in the early stages of the English Civil War. There is a small stream that lies beneath the ...
Read More

Northampton’s lost squares

Squares through time Over the years Northampton has lost a number of its squares, some completely and remembered only in ...
Read More

St Gabriel’s, St Michael’s Road, Northampton

A “lost church” hidden in plain sight In some streets in London today there are so many coffee shops of ...
Read More
Moulton Park, Edward F Leach, 1908

King’s Park of Northampton

Of the hundreds of people who work in the Moulton Park area of Northampton, few are probably aware that the ...
Read More

© 2020, Graham Ward. All rights reserved.